What Our Office Does

Our mission is to improve the quality of life of the citizens of Bernalillo County by reducing crime through the thoughtful enforcement of the law and the development of a criminal justice system that reflects the values and priorities of this community.

The Bernalillo County District Attorney’s Office serves victims of crime in the Bernalillo County area by prosecuting offenders on behalf of the State of New Mexico. The office consists of 4 different divisions: Major Crimes, General Crimes, Juvenile Crimes, and Metro Court. We are a team of attorneys, paralegals, investigators, victim advocates, and legal support staff who are all dedicated to making this community safer.

What is a prosecutor?

The attorney responsible for presenting the case against an individual accused of breaking the law. All the attorneys at the DA’s office are prosecutors.

Legal Representation

We cannot provide legal counsel or advice to members of the public. If you require legal representation, please follow the links below to the Law Office of the Public Defender to apply for counsel or the New Mexico State Bar Directory to hire a private lawyer (please note that our office is unable to provide direct referrals to attorneys).

Public Defender
(Note: you must meet certain income requirements to qualify for a public defender)

NM State Bar

Other legal and community resources

Victim Services

Our victim service center is here to support victims of crime and their families throughout the legal process. It is not required to have an open case to receive support from our Victim Resource Center. We can help you file an order of protection, initiate a case, and find various resources.

Housing Letters

There are certain requirements that must be met to qualify for a housing letter:

  • You must be named as the victim in a domestic violence case that is currently pending in our office.
  • You must have a restraining order against the defendant in the pending case and provide a copy.
  • You must currently be living in a shelter as a result of the incident and provide a letter from the shelter verifying your residence with them.
  • You must be willing to cooperate in the prosecution of the case. (If you miss any required hearings or stop being cooperative in the case your housing will be taken from you.)
  • You must have children, be over the age of 50, or have a disability. (You have to provide a letter from a Doctor/Therapist to verify your disability to Housing).